College Locator
If you are in Virginia, you are just 30 miles from a community college.
Here are the community colleges closest to
Home > Students > Transfer > Transfer FAQs

Transfer FAQs

Home > Students > Transfer > Transfer FAQs

Where Can I Transfer?

Virginia’s Community Colleges have Guaranteed Admissions Agreements with more than 30 public and private four-year institutions in the commonwealth. These transfer partnerships assist students in making a smooth community college credits. Some community colleges also have their own transfer agreements with four-year institutions. Ask your college faculty or advisors what is available to you! In addition, several of these partnerships offer financial assistance and scholarships for community college graduates.

See the list of transfer agreements here, or from the transfer tab on the home page.

When Do I Transfer?

All of the Guaranteed Admissions Agreements require that students complete a transfer associate’s degree in order to be eligible for the benefits that the agreement provides.

What Can I Do To Ensure A Successful Transfer?

It’s never too early to begin planning for a smooth transfer to another institution. Your decisions and commitment to a specific program and university directly impact the success of transferring credits. The longer you wait to make a decision, the more you risk delaying degree completion. We recommend the following:

• By the time you have earned 15 credits, declare your intent to transfer.

• By the time you are mid-way through your academic program, declare your major and university.

What Are Transfer Grants?

In 2007, the Two-Year College Transfer Grant Program (CTG) was passed into law in Virginia. Under this program, qualifying students completing their Associate’s Degree at a Virginia two-year public college and then transferring to a participating Virginia four-year college or university may receive a CTG award of up to $3,000 annually.

Students must complete a transfer associate’s degree with a 3.0 grade-point-average and meet financial eligibility requirements. The grant will be applied to tuition expenses at a four-year Virginia college or university, either public or private. The grant provides $1,000 for all eligible students, with an extra $1,000 for students who pursue undergraduate work in engineering, mathematics, technology, nursing, teaching or science. 

Students transferring to Norfolk State University, Old Dominion University, Radford University, University of Virginia – College at Wise, Virginia Commonwealth University, or Virginia State University are eligible for an additional $1,000 incentive grant.

An application for participation in the Transfer Grant Program as well as a list of STEM eligible program majors can be found at this link:


How Do I Transfer My Credits To Another Institution?

Send official transcripts from all colleges previously attended before transferring to the university of choice. When the institution receives transcripts, they evaluate the credits, and where applicable, count them toward the degree.

How Do I Prepare To Transfer?

The following information is offered as a general timeline and not intended for any specific transfer program or institution. Be sure to start your mathematics (based on your program of study) and writing (composition) sequences as early as possible, as they are common requirements across most programs.

In addition to academic advising, we recommend using the following transfer resources throughout your community college experience:

The college’s general education and program requirements. The requirements outlined in the four-year transfer institution’s Guaranteed Admissions Agreement. The transfer guides for the four-year institution to which you would like to transfer.